Monday, February 8, 2016

The Tablet Messenger Bag

I have a confession. I am not much of a purse user. I tend to overstuff pockets and forget things at home! So, I decided it was time to create a bag that was functional, pretty and me. I decided on a size which could accommodate a 10" tablet with ease and have the depth to carry keys, wallet, glasses, phone...you know, the necessities!

I like traditional leather that generally populates the bag market, but leather isn't really my style. I took a piece of plain, undyed denim and dyed the base layer a medium gray. Afterwards, I created new geometric screens to pattern the surface. With these in hand, I applied dark gray and purple thickened dyes randomly across the surface. A few streaks of turquoise added the final touch.



Painted Denim
I shopped for purses that fit the size I was looking for and decided on the features that are important: external pocket, adjustable strap, internal pockets, bias binding, in seam piping, and a zipper closure. The bag would also have a three dimensional shape by inserting a gusset between the front and back panels. This purse was practically finished, in my head!

Cut, sew, fine tune and build. I have a great new cross body bag! It will be a pleasant change to have all my precious gathered in one place!
Front with exterior pocket

Back view. Note the curved reinforcement at the side top. Its not only pretty, it adds strength!


A look from above. I use a heavyweight zipper! Nothing is escaping.

The side. Trim detail!



Interior pockets and lining. Either pocket is large enough for an iPhone 6s.

Label and lining
















I enjoyed the process so much, I constructed a second bag using indigo dyed denim with blue jeans gold trim and a brass zipper.
Denim Xbody front pocket









The back
Side! Check out that sweet piping!

















Overview









Bright inside lining and pockets. Here you can see the nylon tape used to reinforce the back of the strap.

Lining and label














I will be selling these bags in my Etsy shop. Each one will be unique and can be customized, if you wish! Shop ROX on Etsy

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for your interest! I will get back to you within 24 hours! Have a fun day!