Friday, February 7, 2014

A Little Paint, A New Look

I like to color. There is something about fabric, yarn, or tables that requires me to add color. It's an addiction that began long ago with Easter eggs! There is something akin to magic in the chemistry of dyeing. The possibilities for self-expression are infinite.

I built a table out of old bicycle rims, cores from fabric bolts, cardboard and papier-mache. When I finished the construction, I painted it a dull beige (I know that's redundant). Recently, I found a design for the table top and went to "work"! Here are the results:


This sketch is from a book of copyright-free mandalas. I enlarged the pattern, and transferred it onto my table top which
 I had painted a gloss white. I like a slick surface because it gives the next layer a streaky look. And that is exactly what I want! 


You can see the faint lines of the drawing on the white surface. I picked up my yellow and started coloring! I chose and mixed the colors as they occurred to me. Granted, yellow is rather obvious with the sun!


Sunny is looking good! I thought she should be a green-eyed girl. To draw the viewer outward, I repeated the green in the outside border. Nothing is more natural with a bright sun than a beautiful blue sky, so blue became the background color. 


Once all of the drawing was painted in, I picked up the liner brush and went to work with black. It is acquiring the graphic look I am after!


Only one step to completion: a high gloss finish. 


This is my finished table! It makes me smile every time I glance at her!


A bit of royal blue to tie it all together! 

1 comment :

  1. Tables too ?? Love it and it makes me smile too :) Can't ever go wrong with the sunshine!! Awesome job sista ! Love you

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your interest! I will get back to you within 24 hours! Have a fun day!