Saturday, February 1, 2014

Ephemeral

 Recently, I saw a call for entries in Quilting Arts Magazine for a the theme "In the Garden". It sparked my imagination, and I decided to enter! First time I ever did such a thing! In Tucson, there are successful gardening stories, I would not include mine in this category. Dennis and I have managed to grow a few veggies: chiles, tomatilloes, and a couple herbs. But mostly, the summer sun and dryness have won. I concede that nature is the best gardener in these parts. 
The most stunning display that we receive in the desert, are the ephemeral wildflowers. With enough winter rain, the desert blooms in the most gaudy fashion.  Sprout, flower, and seed. All in a few days. And then its over. The Mexican Gold Poppy is one of my favorites. This is what I would base my art quilt on. 

Before the quilting


I thoroughly enjoyed the "art" quilt process. 8" x10" is tiny compared to any other piece I have made. And with no need for function ( it's not made for washing), I was free to use construction techniques which I normally don't. Adhesives, raw edges; they had a place! 

Elements In Place

I sewed the parts onto the pieced background, and added beads to the stamen. The next step was to join the layers. I chose to do a tiny stippling stitch which would pull the sky into the distance.
Detail of stitching

"EPHEMERAL"

I submitted my piece to QA, unfortunately it was not selected for publication. The next challenge theme is "In the Park". I've got some ideas on the subject!

1 comment :

  1. Wow Sis Good for you !! Your piece is beautiful & I love the beads.. they look to breathe life in the flower ! Looking forward to the park challenge just to see what your amazingly talented mind comes up with next :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your interest! I will get back to you within 24 hours! Have a fun day!