Thursday, January 23, 2014

Windows on the Mac

I was recently asked to make a sleeve for a Mac laptop. Something bright and colorful was in order and to me nothing beats the shine of silk! In my stash of silk, all hand painted, I have amassed a number of long strips that would work beautifully into a collage of colors. I ironed out the wrinkles and sorted by color.

Silk Strips! Aren't they pretty?
 After the initial sorting, I decided to build up the strips onto a foundation of interfacing. Without paying any real attention to the arrangement (only rule: no same colors touching), I quickly filled in several pieces of interfacing. During this sewing time, I considered how to build the bag. The only request was for a secure closure, not a problem!

The silk on the foundation

I happen to believe that a good bag always has pockets. The computer will zip into a padded main compartment, and a functional flap with a zippered pocket will cover the main zipper and add another layer of security. I did the math, added the ease in and constructed the pattern for the sleeve.

Dimensions of the Mac

I enhanced the silk by placing black cotton strips at odd angles; creating windows! I kept the quilting simple.
I cut out the bag pattern I designed, and constructed the sleeve.

The completed sleeve

Interior, showing flap pocket


The sleeve with its precious cargo

It fits! Of course!
  I love the irony of having "windows" on the Mac!

1 comment :

  1. Is there anything you can't create?? Makes me want to buy a mac and order a cover from you !! Awesome as usual.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your interest! I will get back to you within 24 hours! Have a fun day!